Before Employee Travel

Before Employee Travel - Concur

Western is in the process of transitioning from TEM to Concur for Employee Travel and Expense Management. Please see our Concur Updates page for more information.

Western's Travel Services department advises faculty and staff of Western Washington University how to travel within the confines of Federal, State and University guidelines.

Travel for employees is processed in TEM (Travel Expense Management) - and soon through Concur.


Before an employee travels for the first time, they must agree to the terms of travel and set up approval routing for the system by completing a Traveler Profile Form.

Travelers may complete Sections I and II and send it to an administrator for the remaining sections. Profile forms should route through the employee’s supervisor before being submitted to Travel Services.

If you have recently moved to a new department or need to update your supervisory approver or delegate list, please complete a Maintenance Form.

Employees must be authorized to travel before making financial commitments. Please review the Travel Authorization page.

Please contact or call 360-650-3341 with questions or concerns.

Ready to book travel arrangements?

New Employee Travel Training

Click the link below to download the Travel Policies Slide Deck:

Traveling Internationally?

Please take a moment to review a few important items:

  • International Visa Requirements
  • Carefully review Travel Advisories before traveling and comply with them.
  • Register online with the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) in order for the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to better assist you in an emergency.
  • Add your trip to Western’s optional Travel Registry so we can contact you in an emergency.
  • Travelers are required to report to the institution when arriving from a travel health warning area or a pandemic influenza affected area. See our Policy on Reporting Communicable Diseases, section 3.
  • Foreign travelers must review and comply with the WWU Travel Policy: Traveling Outside of the US before traveling for the purposes of:
    • Faculty‐led study abroad programs
    • Study abroad programs ‐ foreign institutions, study centers, outside contractors or affiliates
    • Student exchange programs with a foreign institution
    • Students doing independent study abroad, including internships

Important Travel Terms

Concur Travel Terms

Click below to download a list of the important travel terms for Concur.

TEM – TEM stands for Travel & Expense Management, which is the name of the Banner module the system utilizes.

Traveler – The Traveler is the person who is actually traveling. They may request authorization to travel, and they may request for reimbursement of travel-related expenses. This person may be a Western faculty or staff member, they may be a student or student employee, or a Western guest (interviewee, Athletics recruit, honorary doctorate recipient, etc.).

Delegate – A Delegate is someone who has been setup to help a given Traveler with data entry within the TEM system. Once paired with a Traveler, a Delegate can create and fill out documents (Travel Authorizations and Expense Reports) on behalf of that Traveler. The traveler must still review their expenses and submit them, accepting full responsibility for the document.

TA – The abbreviation for a Travel Authorization, which is used to seek approval to travel before the trip occurs. This occurs in TEM for employees and student employees.

TE - The abbreviation for the Travel E-Sign Form. This is an official Travel Authorization form used for non-employee travel.

TR – The abbreviation for Travel Reimbursement, a document used to seek reimbursement for travel-related expenses. Showing in TEM under the Expense Report tab, a TR is used by employees and student employees only.

TV – The abbreviation for a Travel Advance, which is a reimbursement of estimated expenses prior to the trip for employees and student employees. The amount an employee is eligible for depends on the type of travel and anticipated expenses.