Tax Exempt Purchases

Is My Purchase Tax Exempt?

Western Washington University is not exempt from paying State Tax on goods and services, except in certain circumstances. 

The University is required to pay tax on all purchases just as any other business or consumer must do. We pay either a sales tax (as specified by RCW 82.08) or a use tax (RCW 82.12) on almost all purchases.

The only exceptions are exemptions for certain categories such as food, advertising, research equipment or professional services.

While the University is working on finalizing a document for your reference, if you have any questions regarding tax exempt purchases in the meantime please reach out to us as