Before You Travel
Travel System Note
Western employee travel processing has moved from TEM to Concur as of June 30, 2020. Please see the Travel Updates page for more information.
Before an employee travels for the first time, they must agree to the terms of travel and set up approval routing for the system by completing a Traveler Profile Form.
Travelers may complete Sections I and II and send it to an administrator for the remaining sections. Profile forms should route through the employee’s supervisor before being submitted to Travel Services.
Western's Travel Services department advises University faculty and staff how to travel within the confines of Federal, State and University guidelines.
- Travel for employees is processed via Concur.
- If you have recently moved to a new department or need to update your supervisory approver please complete a Traveler Update Form.
- Employees must be authorized to travel before making financial commitments. Please review the Travel Authorization page.
Ready to make travel arrangements?
Please take a moment to review a few important items:
- International Visa Requirements
- Carefully review Travel Advisories before traveling and comply with them.
- Register online with the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) in order for the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to better assist you in an emergency.
- Add your trip to Western’s optional Travel Registry so we can contact you in an emergency.
- Travelers are required to report to the institution when arriving from a travel health warning area or a pandemic influenza affected area. See our Policy on Reporting Communicable Diseases, section 3.
- If you are traveling on a Western faculty‐led study abroad program, please consult the Global Learning Programs Safety Toolkit
- Foreign travelers must review and comply with the WWU Travel Policy: Traveling Outside of the US before traveling for the purposes of:
- Faculty‐led study abroad programs
- Study abroad programs ‐ foreign institutions, study centers, outside contractors or affiliates
- Student exchange programs with a foreign institution
- Students doing independent study abroad, including internships
Traveler – A person in travel status who is on official university business. May include Western employees, students or student employees, registered volunteers, contractors, speakers, interview candidates and other non-employees.
Official University Business - Activities performed in order to accomplish university programs or as required by the duties of the position.
Delegate – May help enter data on behalf of others.The traveler remains responsible for the content, accuracy and timely submission of all documents.
Travel Authorization/Request – Official travel pre-authorization. Employee authorizations are processed via Concur Request; students and non-employees are authorized via e-sign form.
TR/Expense Report – Reconciliation of expenses after the trip, including any travel reimbursement.
Supervisory Approver - Approves the business purpose of travel and time away from regular work duties. Supervisors are assigned per traveler.
Budget Approver - Assigned per funding. Approves actual expenditures.