International Travel

University Travel & COVID-19: please see current CDC Travel Guidelines.

Travel System Note

Western employee travel processing has moved from TEM to Concur as of June 30, 2020. Please see the Travel Updates page for more information.

Traveling Internationally?

Please take a moment to review a few important items:

  • International Visa Requirements
  • Carefully review Travel Advisories before traveling and comply with them.
  • Register online with the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) in order for the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to better assist you in an emergency.
  • Strongly recommended: add your trip to Western’s optional Travel Registry so we can contact you in an emergency.
  • Travelers are required to report to the institution when arriving from a travel health warning area or a pandemic influenza affected area. See Western's Health Policies for more information.
  • If you are traveling on a Western faculty‐led study abroad program, please consult the Global Learning Programs Safety Toolkit
  • Foreign travelers must review and comply with the WWU Travel Policy: Traveling Outside of the US before traveling for the purposes of:
    • Faculty‐led study abroad programs
    • Study abroad programs ‐ foreign institutions, study centers, outside contractors or affiliates
    • Student exchange programs with a foreign institution
    • Students doing independent study abroad, including internships

See also: University employee travel abroad to State Department Level 3 or 4 countries due to COVID-19

Fly America Act Information

The Fly America Act mandates the use of U.S. certificated air carriers for federally funded international travel.

Learn More on the GSA site here.

Flying Internationally: What's allowed?

  • Coach airfare
  • Visa fees
  • Foreign transaction fees
  • Required Immunizations and Medical Expenses, including COVID testing, may only be reimbursed with documented claim denied from primary insurance.
  • Travel insurance is not a covered expense. Consult your personal health insurance policy for details.
  • iNext international health insurance covers medical and accidental expenses in Level 3 or 4 countries, including emergency quarantine coverage. Contact the Ed Abroad Office for details. This is not a reimbursable expense, but the costs are relatively low.

International Meals and Lodging