Travel Reimbursement

Please see the official University policy on "Reporting and Reconciling Travel Expenses Associated with Cancellations due to the Novel Coronavirus/COVID-19"

Please contact if you have any questions or concerns.

Travel Reimbursements - Concur

Western is in the process of transitioning from TEM to Concur for Employee Travel and Expense Management. Please see our Concur Updates page for more information.


A Travel Reimbursement (TR) is an official document submitted by a traveler to request repayment for expenses incurred while traveling. Delegates may help travelers enter data, but travelers ultimately accept responsibility for the accuracy of the document. By clicking "submit" travelers are attesting that the document correctly represents their itinerary and expenses.

If your travel did not go as originally planned on your Authorization, please make adjustments on your reimbursement and be sure to make a comment for any major changes.

Approval Process

Approvals flow automatically from one approver to the next.
Travel Reimbursements go through two stages of approval:

  1. Travel Services: Ensures no violations of travel policy
  2. Budget Authority: Approves actual expenses

* Grant or Foundation Funds require an additional approval step

If you submit your request after 60 days please choose the “Taxable Reimbursement – Over 60 Days” expense type for each expense and note what each expense is for in the description.

*For Mileage you may select the “Mileage” expense type to get the system calculations, note the calculations in the description, and save the expense. Finally, change the expense type to the “Taxable” expense type.

Contact Travel Services, 360-650-3341 if you have a questions.

Travel Reimbursement Questions

Can I use air miles for my airfare and receive reimbursement?

WWU will reimburse you for actual dollars spent on your airfare. If you use air miles you will not be reimbursed for them.

What expenses can be reimbursed before travel?

The only expenses that can be reimbursed before travel are:

  • Registration expenses
  • Airfare expenses that have been purchased on a WWU Corporate Travel Visa

What types of travel costs cannot be reimbursed with Chart 1 (State) Funds?

The following types of travel-related costs shall not be reimbursed with state funds.

  1. Alcoholic beverage expenses.
  2. The cost of the daily commute between the traveler’s official station (or telecommuting site) and official residence.
  3. Certain travel expenses are considered as personal and not essential to the transaction of official state business. Such non-reimbursable expenses include, but are not limited to:
    • Valet services unless required for a person with a disability. Valet parking may be permitted for reasons of health and safety.
    • Entertainment expenses.
    • Transportation costs to or from places of entertainment and other non-state business locations including dinner at conferences.
    • Out of pocket charges for vehicle service calls caused by the negligence of the traveler.
    • Personal telephone calls.
    • Any tips or gratuities associated with personal expenses.
    • Costs of personal trip insurance (such as personal accident insurance, personal effects insurance, and extended liability insurance), and medical and hospital services.
    • Tolls associated with the use of high occupancy toll (HOT) lanes.
    • Fines from appropriate jurisdictions for all parking tickets, citations or infractions received while operating a vehicle on state business (privately owned vehicle, rental vehicle or state owned vehicle).

How do I pay back a travel expense?

If you need to pay back a travel expense, please ensure you have the correct budget information and make your payment for free by electronic check or by credit card with a small fee here: Travel Expense Repayment Site.

If you have questions please contact