Travel Receipts & Expense Types
Know Your Transportation Expense Types
- Gas: Use for refueling rental and university vehicles. Receipts required.
- Mileage: Use when driving a personal vehicle. Include starting and destination locations and number of miles driven. 2020 rate: $0.575/mile
- Ground Transportation: Final car rental receipt required (not reservation); train receipts required
- Airfare: Full updated itinerary and itemized flight fees showing method of payment required
- Miscellaneous: Parking, ferry and baggage fees require receipts if over $50
Most expenses require a receipt. All receipts must show details of the item or service being paid for, date, and proof of payment.
Which Receipts do I keep?
Original receipts are required for reimbursement of:
- meals claimed as "actual" amounts (requires itemization and proof of payment)
- lodging itemized, showing $0 balance
- rental cars showing paid, (For Enterprise Receipt please obtain an updated receipt here)
- fuel for rental or university vehicles
- miscellaneous expenses over $50
- airfare (full itinerary and payment must be showing on document. Boarding passes are not required.) May be reimbursed prior to travel if paid on a Corporate Travel Card only
- registration fees (May be reimbursed prior to travel)
Receipts are not required for reimbursement of:
- privately owned vehicle mileage
- per diem meals
- ferry fares
- miscellaneous items under $50