Travelers are required to complete the Basic Driver Safety Course before driving any vehicle for official university business.
- Washington State rule 10.10.10.a1 mandates travelers choose the most economical means of travel
- Western encourages travelers to use university vehicles and carpool whenever possible
- When these options are unavailable, compare the cost of mileage vs rental vehicle and train/bus/etc. to find the most cost-efficient option
Using Your Personal Car for Business Travel
- If you drive your own car on University business, you are reimbursed the applicable rate for each mile driven.
- Compute mileage using Google Maps or use your actual odometer readings.
- The Miles in the Travel System are referred to as “Units”.
- You are responsible for your own car insurance. If you are in an accident, your insurance is the primary coverage.
The 2020 Personal Car Mileage Rate is: $0.575 per mile
Enterprise Car Rental Contract
**See Enterprise Reservation Instructions Below**
Western recommends the following shuttles:
Western Washington University has partnered with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to the area.
Learn more and get started at zipcar.com/wwu.
To use Zipcars
- Simply register as a member,
- Reserve a car online or by phone,
- Use your Zipcard to enter the car, and drive away.
- When you’re done, return the car to the same location where you picked it up.
- Use your Zipcard to lock the car.