Mileage & Ground Transportation
Travelers are required to complete the Basic Driver Safety Course before driving any vehicle for official university business.
- Washington State rule 10.10.10.a1 mandates travelers choose the most economical means of travel
- Western encourages travelers to use university vehicles and carpool whenever possible
- When these options are unavailable, compare the cost of mileage vs rental vehicle and train/bus/etc. to find the most cost-efficient option
Using Your Personal Car for Business Travel
- If you drive your own car on University business, you are reimbursed the applicable rate for each mile driven.
- You are responsible for your own car insurance. If you are in an accident, your insurance is the primary coverage.
- Concur Expense provides a mileage calculator with Google Maps and allows travelers to deduct their commute:
Concur Expense: Deduct your Commute
As of Jan. 1, 2023 the Personal Car Mileage Rate is: $0.655 per mile
July 1, 2022 - Dec. 31, 2022: $0.625/mile
Jan. 1 2022 - June 30 2022: $0.585/mile
Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, 2021: $0.56/mile
Mileage and Regular Commute
Commute: Travel between home and Official Workstation.
Official Workstation: The city or town where the employee works on a permanent basis for one year or more.
Commute expenses are the employee's personal responsibility.
An employee's Official Workstation is Western's Bellingham campus. The employee has a business meeting at the Port of Bellingham. Travel between campus and the Port office may be covered, but travel between the Port office and the employee's home would be considered their regular Commute and not reimbursable.
The traveler drives from their home in Ferndale to Bellingham Airport for a flight to a conference. The mileage is considered their regular Commute, and not reimbursable. This example is shown in the Concur Expense: Deduct Your Commute image above.
Enterprise Car Rental
- Before renting a car from Enterprise please review rental information & restrictions.
- Enterprise Rental Car Reservation Instructions
- Print your Enterprise Rental Receipt
- Create an Enterprise Billing Number
- Washington State NASPO Agreement
- Enterprise Holdings NASPO Agreement
Shuttle and Charter Options
Bellair Airporter Shuttles
Bellair Charters (large groups)
Contact: Colleen Bacon, Charters Manager